Newshosting VPN Review
Newshosting is a popular Usenet solution that is ideal for those who don’t have previous experience with this technology. Newshosting offers a free trial that includes a newsreader, as well as an indexer, which allows you to start enjoying Usenet without major hassle. In addition, Newshosting offers a VPN in the form of an add-on that brings an extra layer of security for your Usenet service. The VPN lets you browse the Internet and newsgroups securely and it is a fully featured solution. Here is more about Newshosting.
Is My Privacy Protected with Newshosting?
Newshosting says it keeps zero download logs and only gives up information on users under a court order.
Information We Collect Automatically When You Use Online Services
• Location Information: We collect the approximate location of the computer or device you use to connect to our websites or Services based on the computer or device’s IP address.
• Usage Information: We collect customer usage of the Services and metering in relation to the type of plan a Customer purchased. We do not monitor which newsgroups you post to or download from or what you put in news articles that you post.
• Log Information: We collect server logs in connection with your use of our websites or Services, which include IP address and the date and time of the connection.
• Information Collected by Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies: We use various technologies to collect information in connection with your use of our Services, including the following:
◦ Cookies, which are small files that are sent to your computer or mobile device when you visit a website, and are used to recognize your browser and track your usage each time you visit.
◦ Pixel tags, which are small blocks of code often used in connection with cookies. Pixel tags (or web beacons) are placed on our websites and emails, and allow us to track website usage and determine when emails have been opened and acted upon.
Use of Information
We combine the information we collect about you and use this information for various purposes, including to:
• Provide and improve our products and services;
• Process your transactions
• Send you technical notices and support and administrative messages
• Communicate with you about products, services, promotions, events, and other news and information we think will be of interest to you.
• Facilitate contests and promotions and process and deliver prizes;
• Monitor and analyze trends and usage in connection with our Services;
• We share information with our corporate affiliates, parents and/or subsidiaries
• Detect and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities and protect the rights and property of Newshosting and others; and
• Respond to valid requests from public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements; and
• Carry out any other purpose described to you at the time the information was collected.
Sharing of Information
We may share information about you as follows:
• With service providers in connection with the services they perform for us or for you; In response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law, regulation or legal process;
• If we believe your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property and safety of Newshosting or others;
• In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another company; and
• With your consent or at your direction.
We store the information we collect about you for as long as is necessary for the purposes for which we originally collected it. We may retain certain information for legitimate business purposes or as required by law.
Note to EEA Residents:
If you are a resident of the EEA, you have certain rights and protections under the law regarding our processing of your personal data. Please see the sections below for more details.
Legal Basis for Processing
We will only process personal data in accordance with the following legal bases:
• As necessary to perform our responsibilities under our contract with you. For example, by processing your order and fulfilling the products or services you purchase.
• When we have a legitimate interest in processing your personal data. For example, to communicate with you about changes to our Services or legal documents, to prevent fraud, or to provide, protect and improve our products and services.
• If we request your consent to a specific processing activity (such as to send marketing emails), and you provide your consent in the manner indicated.
• In some cases, processing will be necessary for compliance with a legal obligation, such as a response to legal process requests.
How Much is Newshosting? Is There a Free Trial?
Pricing and plans
Customers can choose from three tiers of service: Lite, Unlimited, and XL Powerpack (a.k.a. NHXL). Lite costs $10 per month (GBP 7.40) for 50GB of data, which rolls over to the next month if you don’t use it all. Lite users get 30 simultaneous connections, though on the average Internet connection you’ll only need between 10 and 15. Edit: We’ve been made aware of two discounted unlimited plans available.
The Unlimited plan removes the data cap for an additional $2 per month, with an annual subscription. Subscribers get the same 30 simultaneous connections.
Finally, XL Powerpack costs $15.83 (GBP 11.72) per month with an annual subscription and doubles the number of connections to 60. Newshosting also tosses in a free VPN service, which is offered as an optional paid extra on the two lower tier plans. On top of all that, NHXL users get 10GB per month free at EasyNews, another Usenet provider, as a backup block account.
If you sign up for the two-week free trial, you essentially get the XL Powerpack plan with a 30GB data cap. The free trial still requires either a credit card or PayPal to sign up, and users should remember to either cancel or downgrade their plan if they don’t want to pay for the XL Powerpack tier when the trial period ends.
If you are unsure what plan is best for you, you can take a short quiz on the Newshosting website that will “customize” a plan for you.
Newshosting doesn’t offer block accounts. A block account lets you purchase a set amount of data, such as 1TB, and use it at your leisure rather than paying for a monthly or yearly subscription.
Newshosting Speed Test
In the tests I consistently obtained an Internet connection’s maximum download speed, namely 200 mbit/s. In everyday practice this means that you will practically always be able to utilize the full potential of your Internet connection when using Newshosting. The servers and connection speeds are very rapid.
How is Customer Service at Newshosting?
Newshosting says it has a 24/7/365 support team, but really it’s just a ticket submission system. There’s no live chat or phone number to call. Customer support was still very helpful in response to a billing question, to which they responded within two hours.
The website’s FAQ section and knowledge base is quite comprehensive and easily searchable. There are no advertisements in either the browser or the website, and we didn’t receive and unsolicited emails during our time with Newshosting.
There are over 100,000 discussion groups available and Newshosting offers 3,300-day retention period, which means that files are available for 9 years. Although some users have reported broken downloads, overall the service is effective and the download speeds can reach the maximum speed of your connection. The dedicated Usenet browser works on Windows, Mac and Linux and it is included for free as part of your subscription. It comes with a search function and video previews. It is possible to select an automated option for searching and downloading. This means that you won’t need to look for the latest episode of your favorite show because it will be downloaded automatically.
The app is very easy to use and you won’t need to set up a third-party newsreader solution. Newshosting bespoke browser makes things simple and it allows you to monitor downloads and keep track of how much data you have used. If preferred, you can also use Newshosting with third-party indexers and newsreaders like NZB.is and SABnzbd. The VPN service is included with the XL Powerpack plan and the VPN client supports Windows and Mac. It can be enabled from the webhosting browser without requiring a separate app. It is also possible to set up the service on Linux, but it has to be done manually.
There are over 70 servers distributed in 17 countries and there are over 7000 IP addresses available. Newshosting also comes with a NAT firewall that stops any traffic from the Internet, unless the connection was initiated by you. You can switch between servers as often as you want and there are no limits imposed on bandwidth or data transfers. Newshosting supports up to two simultaneous connections, which gives you the possibility of securing your data on your computer or mobile device. It should be noted that although it is possible to use the VPN to browse the Internet, the main purpose of Newshosting is to offer access to Usenet newsgroups. If this is not your priority and you are more interested in ensuring that your data is protected from security threats, a provider that is fully focused on offering a VPN service, would be a better choice.
Is Newshosting Safe?
The protocols supported by Newshosting are OpenVPN, L2TP and PPTP. The level of encryption used is 256-bit, which provides a high level of protection. All Newshosting users, even those who don’t get a subscription to the VPN service, can avail to a 256-bit SSL connection to secure their transfers. Nevertheless, a VPN solution is recommended since it can prevent ISPs from affecting your bandwidth.
Newshosting is everything a Usenet customer could ask for, be they a complete novice or veteran user. The browser app makes finding and downloading easier than ever, and we never ran into any broken or missing files. The inclusion of a VPN and backup block account on EasyNews makes the top-tier NHXL plan a relative bargain, while the other plans are priced competitively. Downloads were blazing fast, even over SSL, whether using the Newshosting browser or a third-party newsreader app. If you’re thinking of signing up we’d recommend taking advantage of the free trial.