How to Set Your VPN up on Xbox One
If you’re serious about encrypting your data and protecting your information from hackers and scammers, it’s important to have a VPN set up on as many devices as possible. This includes your gaming consoles. Modern gen gaming consoles such as Microsoft’s Xbox One console require an online connection to access many of their games and services, meaning many players are connected around the clock.
With Microsoft putting such a focus on your Xbox One console being always connected, it’s important to make sure that the data you’re transferring through your Xbox One is encrypted and protected. In this article, we’ll explore why it’s so important to have a VPN on your Xbox One console, how to set a VPN up on your Xbox One console and some of the best VPNs that are currently available.
Why You Need a VPN on Xbox One
Installing a VPN on your Xbox One is one of the most effective ways of protecting your information from hackers and scammers. One of the reasons why this is so important is that video game consoles such as the Xbox One automatically save your payment details, so if you’ve ever purchased digital games, in-game items or downloadable content (DLC) such as expansion packs for video games, your details are at risk in the event of a data breach.
If you struggle with lag during online multiplayer games, it’s worth noting that you can use a VPN to actually improve the quality of your connection. Many of the VPNs that you can set up on your Xbox One console have dedicated P2P & gaming servers that help reduce lag by directing your traffic through hot points between data centers.
Another benefit of having a VPN set up on your Xbox One is you can access deals, offers and even releases that aren’t available in your own country. Countries have their own specific Xbox stores that only their residents are able to access. By setting up a VPN, you’ll be able to access deals that are only available in specific countries. You’ll also be able to play games hours ahead of their release date by accessing time zones that are ahead of the United States, such as Australia’s. As well as game libraries, you’ll also be able to access country-specific libraries for streaming services such as Netflix by changing your VPN’s server location.
How to Set Up a VPN on Xbox One
It isn’t possible to directly install a VPN on your Xbox One console but there are other methods that involve either installing the VPN to your home router or using your laptop, desktop computer or Mac to connect your Xbox One console to a VPN.
- If you haven’t already chosen a VPN provider, you can take a look at the best VPN providers on our homepage here. Once you’ve chosen your VPN, install it
- If you haven’t already installed the VPN on your router, then that will be your next step. Depending on the router you own and the VPN you purchased, there are a variety of different ways you can do this, but this method applies to most routers. Please note: you’ll need a decent router capable of having a VPN installed on it. Rather than setting all of this up yourself, you may wish to purchase a router that’s already set up to work with a variety of VPN providers
- Access your router’s control panel by entering its IP address
- Navigate to the WAN settings in your router’s control panel
- Enter the VPN details you were sent when you subscribed to your VPN. You’ll usually need your username, password, VPN server IP address and DNS address. If you no longer have access to this information, contact your VPN provider who’ll be able to give it to you
- Once you’ve made these changes, confirm them and close your router’s control panel. The VPN will now be installed on your router
- Connect your Xbox One to your wireless network and experience the benefits of using your console with a VPN
- To access country-specific market stores, simply change the location of your VPN by changing the VPN server address within your router’s admin panel
Laptop or Desktop Computer Method (Not Mac)
- Install the VPN software onto your laptop or desktop computer following the steps provided by your VPN. Ensure it's connected
- Plug an ethernet cable into the back of your Xbox One and into your laptop or computer
- Connect to your home Wi-Fi network and on your laptop or home computer, open up your control panel to access the network and sharing center. Click adapter settings
- Right click on the icon that says VPN to open up properties
- Now for the most important part: Open up the sharing tab and select the option that says ‘allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection.’ Confirm any changes once you’ve selected this
- Turn on your Xbox One and you should now be able to access Xbox services using your VPN
- Follow the steps provided by your VPN provider to install your VPN on your Mac (if you haven’t already)
- Plug an ethernet cable into the back of your Xbox One and into your Mac
- Access your Mac’s system preferences (you can do this by clicking the Mac logo at the top left of your screen if you can’t find this) then head to sharing and click Internet Sharing from the list on the left of the window
- You’ll see a dropdown called ‘share your connection’. Select the Wi-Fi option
- You’ll then see another dropdown saying ‘to computers’. Make sure the ethernet connection is selected and make sure the box to the left of Internet Sharing on the list is selected too
- If this has all been successful, a green icon will appear
- Depending on what location you want to access, open the VPN software on your Mac and connect to your chosen server
- Your Xbox One console should now be connected to the VPN server of your choice
Best VPNs For Xbox One
With so many VPNs out there, how do you know which one is the best for your Xbox One console? Here are our top three VPN providers.
Offering thousands of servers across 94 countries and with an average user rating of 8.8 on our site, Express VPN is one of the best VPNs to protect your information and provide you with an easy way to access Xbox stores across the globe.
With prices starting from just $2.99 a month, Nord VPN is one of the most cost-effective and reputable VPNs for your Xbox One console.
Cyber Ghost is easy to set up and the speed on their servers means you’ll never fall behind when you’re playing multiplayer games on Xbox Live.